Friday, December 19, 2008

Tis the Season

<----- This is Eddie. Eddie is the mascot for the band Iron Maiden, who enjoyed their heyday in the 1980s when I was *ahem* in high school.

Anyway, back in the day I was a fairly huge metal head. I even had an Iron Maiden back patch for my jean jacket. Remember that look? I also had Jon Bon Jovi's hair. I was bitchin'.

So I've been carting my albums around for decades. I think I've listened to 3 vinyl records since I got my first CD player, but I've still been lugging the albums around the East coast. I have quite the collection of vinyl, mostly due to the fact that I worked in record stores for several years after getting out of high school.

Today I was reading my Freecycle emails and I came across this:
[WFC] Wanted - Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden Records (LP)
Hi,

I am hoping to find a copy of one of these bands' records. My teenage
son loves these older metal bands and I thought it would be fun to give
him one of these on LP. Even if I could just find the album cover, not
necessarily with the record, I could frame it and give to him for his
wall.

If you have a record by any of these bands you would be willing to part
with I can pick up within maybe 20 miles of Cary/Apex.

Thanks for your consideration! Merry Christmas

So I decided I could part with some Maiden. I went into the closet and I flipped through until I pulled out Powerslave and Somewhere in Time. Oddly, even though one of my cats used the spines of my vinyl to sharpen his claws one day, these two are in pristine condition. They look like they were just unwrapped.

I emailed the lady back and she's so excited she's about to plotz. So next week some kid is going to open these up on Christmas morning. I hope he likes them. It feels good to pass them on.

2 comments:

squirrelgirl said...

No! You can't part with Powerslave! Rime of the Ancient Mariner is one of my ALL TIME favorite songs. I used to run cross country when I was in school, and that was an excellent tape. Yes, that would be a cassette. I have the LP as well, but the cassette was easier to tote on those 10 milers. LOL! I hope the young dude appreciates what he's getting.

Dagny said...

No kidding!!!

MUST keep Powerslave!!! LOL

xoxo