Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Okee dokee

The lady from the state called today and said that based on Rich's estimated salary we would be in the 20% scale, meaning each therapy visit would be $15. However, she said that factoring in our medical expenses might knock it down to 0%. She's coming out on the 12th of November to go over the financials with me.

Four people were in our house on Monday. I have no idea what the 4th one was. I do know that they were excellent with Livvie and she had a blast with them. They were here for almost 3 hours. They played the whole time.

However, it was based on a standardized test. The only part of the test that Livvie passed was the gross motor skills section. She failed all of speech and fine motor skills. I expected speech, but the fine motor skills was a surprise, given that one day she unscrewed the table legs from the kitchen table, and on Monday morning she unhooked herself from the double locked safety belt in the shopping cart at the grocery store. The things they asked her to do were to put pennies in a bank, which she wouldn't do, kick a ball, which she doesn't know how to do, color, which she doesn't LIKE to do, and sort shapes, which she had already done by putting a puzzle together and she was over the whole shape thing.

So she qualifies for developmental therapy and also speech therapy. I declined the developmental therapy because as far as I'm concerned she doesn't need it. I solved the coloring issue today by attaching a piece of paper to her easel and putting it on the sofa at head level. She made two drawings after I did that. She also adores the chalk board side of it, and will draw with chalk all day if you let her. So whatever. We'll work on ball kicking.

I guess we'll see how much speech therapy helps. I've heard a mixed bag about it. 

Have a great Wednesday!

8 comments:

Betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy said...

(sorry for the deleted post - I had a major malfuntion while posting!)

As your friendly resident SLP, I, of course, think speech therapy can work wonders - please note that I said CAN, not ALWAYS DOES, NO MATTER WHAT :) Nearly 25 years on the job and I still love my profession - I hope you and Livvie have a good experience!

Cyn said...

That is good she had a nice time playing with those people. Free is a good price to pay as well.

Catherine said...

You are an awesome mom, just excellent. Kudos for you in trusting your own judgment and declining therapy you don't think she needs. You know her better than anyone. Cheers too for getting these nice peeps in to help. I have every faith this'll all go fine, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you pay the big fat $ZERO.

sara said...

i am so happy she qualified for speech (in that round about way of being happy about it!). so much changesd over the next few years, go with your gut and decide what she needs and when... i hear playing with playdoh is good for fine motor skills as well...

Anonymous said...

It sounds like she is going to get the help you need and at a cheap price. It is all good :-).

Em said...

Good luck, Julie, I hope it does help!

Anonymous said...

The fine motor skills...
Aimee had issues when she went for kindergarten testing. She "couldn't count"...actually she COULD, just only in FRENCH. She "couldn't walk a balance beam" OR "catch a ball" turned out the kid desperately needed glasses--plus we didn't normally throw stuff at her to catch nor make her walk narrow pieces of wood.
My point here: I wouldn't be too worried.

HUGS