Saturday, June 09, 2007

Small Sacrifices

This morning I was driving Livvie around and we crossed over a small creek. I looked over at it and all I could think about was, "I wonder where that goes?" Then I realized that if it had been a few years ago I would have followed it. Even if it took hours. Now I can't. Even if I strapped her on me, there's no way I could do something like that alone. It made me a little sad. I realized that someday as a family we can all go hiking and camping and go for nonsensical walks, but in this day and age I can't take the chance of wandering off with my child into the woods. So sometimes I miss the days when I was unaccountable to anyone other than cats, and when if I wanted to I could risk myself for the sake of adventure. But not enough to go back.

No comments: