Friday, March 21, 2008

I Don't Suck AS Bad...

I managed to get off my ass for Ostara yesterday and make a batch of soap. Now, I don't make from scratch with the lye etc, I cheat. They make melt and pour soap bricks that are pre-scored, and all you have to do is cut it into cubes and melt it on the stove in an enamel pot. Then you add whatever scent you like and any extra ingredients to make it more effective. Yesterday I used a black soap base, added meadowfoam to stabilize the soap, and added lily of the valley oil for scent. I had no soap molds. None. Both of mine had ended up in the trash because they were shot. So I made due by using a foil cupcake pan. The resulting soaps look like giant, wrapped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and one of them has "EZ FOIL" stamped into the bottom backwards. Whatever. At least I got something done.

Rich ended up asking me why there was a knife on my altar. I tried to explain it to him. I ended up having to dip the point of the knife into the chalice for him to "get it." He finally got it with an "Ohhhhhh." Apparently just saying, "this is male" didn't make sense to him at first.

I left my candles burning until it was time for bed, and didn't extinguish them correctly because I wasn't dipping my fingers into burning tealights. So I blew on them. I know this is considered rude, but I wasn't taking any chances with my fingertips.

So after yesterday I feel better about things, even though I literally didn't remember it was Ostara until about 4 o clock. I totally blanked that it was the first day of spring. I am such a sucky witch that I actually need to put alerts on my iCalendar. However, the thing is that now that I made soap again I am definitely going to get back into it and flood my friends with small bars of soap that they'll probably put on their sinks to look attractive and never use. Oh, not this batch. It's far from attractive. But I guess I'll be hauling my ass to Michael's or AC Moore to get more molds.

As a matter of fact, the first person to request 2 "bars" of Peanut Butter Cup soaps may have them. I'll be happy to send them out. I absolutely don't need 6.

11 comments:

Michele said...

Julie, I would be HONORED to get soap from you! I love lily of the valley. :) and I will actually use them.

my at-home celebration was very modest, but at least I gave a nod to Ostara. Full moon is tonight, I'm considering trying to do a bit more tonight... like some actual magic. we're so frigging poor that we could use some prosperity.

Woodrow said...

damnit!

Julie said...

Michele- Email me your address again and I'll get them out to you.

Woodrow- You don't want girly smelling soaps anyway. If you like I can make you some plain ones.

Michele said...

make him some sandlewood soap! he'll smell damn good then. ;)

Julie said...

I just made Woodrow, and whoever else wants some, some Bayberry soap.

Just let me know!

LizLSB said...

Nice! I make soap too, which my students call very "weird." I use herbs from my garden to make Italian kitchen soap; next time I make some, I will have to send you a couple bars.

Em said...

What is Ostara?

Cyn said...

I would like some handmade soaps. Let me know what fragrance you are doing next. If it is a beer fragrance I will pass. :-p Still it would be neat to have something a friend made.

Anonymous said...

Why can't I ever ask for things? But, um...hey...Julie? Um, if you're not busy with the kid and the animals and the husband and the LIFE you have...could you maybe, if you're bored and stuff...nevermind.

Well, okay, maybe just a scrap from a batch of soap you made for woodrow that smells like sandalwood or something...

Nina said...

You can work on soap while I make more mittens. Everyone wants mittens over at my place.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.