Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Alan Young

When we were 3 we took baths together while his mom baby sat me. When we were 4 we were addicted to Ultraman. When we were 6 we saw Star Wars and he attempted to steal my action figures.

He was always smiling, and his pants were always falling down because he had no butt.

When we were 7 we got into a snowball fight and he packed one of his balls with ice and hit me in the face with it. I jumped the fence and beat the ever living shit out of him.

We crabbed together with my father, and when one of the crabs pinched me he laughed at me and I attempted to throw him overboard.

He taught me how to fish in the creek, and we used to go turtling and bring home the tiniest painted turtles you could imagine. We kept them as pets.

We went to a park called Sesame Place one time and on the way home my father stopped traffic to rescue some box tortoises from the highway. When we got home we fought about who they belonged to and I won because it was MY dad who had saved them.

We used to play in refrigerator boxes, using my front steps to get inside and roll down them. It probably wasn't the most intelligent thing to do, but we sustained no injuries. Lasting ones anyway.

When we were 13 he needed open heart surgery, and I was completely hysterical. You see, I had loved him since the time we were 5, and I would chase him around trees telling him he would marry me. He would always holler, "NO!" but I was persistent.

He was a Van Halen freak, and he introduced me to the album 1984, and then the earlier ones. I developed a love for them as well, simply because HE loved them. 

When we were 16 he came to my birthday party, and laughed his ass off when I opened a 2 liter bottle of Coke and had to slam my mouth down over the opening because it exploded.

He was in love with a girl named Jennifer, and she treated him quite poorly. They broke up after a year.

He learned to surf when he was 16, and I remember him coming out of the house with his board and his wetsuit and driving off, leaving me jealous that he had learned how to do something so amazing. He was always tan, and he had the best smile in the world. He was, quite frankly, hot.

Alan died on Monday. He simply dropped dead at the age of 37. I haven't been able to stop crying all morning. I canceled Emma's vet appointment, set up my altar, and am burning candles for him and offering wine and cookies to the goddess to watch over him as he makes his crossing.

I am devastated. I am bereft. And I just don't get it.




YOUNG, ALAN
Suddenly on April 14, 2008, age 37, of Sicklerville formerly of Oaklyn passed away.
Alan was a jokester and he loved surfing and snowboarding. He was a member of I.B.E.W. Local 351 in Folsom. He was a 1989 graduate of Collingswood High School. He always had a smile on his face and he was an outstanding husband, father, son and brother.
He is lovingly survived by his wife, Karen (nee Mortimer); his sons, Trevor and Jayden; his parents, Albert and Blanche; his sister, Tracy (Conrad); his grandmothers, Blanche Abrams and Gertrude Young; his mother-in-law, Blanche Mortimer; his brother-in-laws, Kevin (Mary) and Kenny (Colleen); his grandmother-in-law, Blanche Borger and numerous nieces and nephews.
Relatives and friends are invited to his viewing Thursday from 7:00 -9:00 PM at the HEALEY FUNERAL HOME, 9 White Horse Pike, Haddon Heights. His Funeral Mass will be held Friday morning 10:00 AM at St. Aloysius Church, 37 W. Haddon Ave., Oaklyn. Interment New St. Mary's Cemetery, Bellmawr. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: The Family of Alan Young c/o Healey Funeral Home, 9 White Horse Pike, Haddon Heights, NJ 08035.

13 comments:

jennyquarx said...

I am so sorry. That is just tragic. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Dagny said...

I am so very sorry.

((((gentle hugs))))

I am glad you have such wonderful memories. They will be nicer to look back on in time, when you aren't in so much pain.

Love you.

xoxoxoxox

Nina said...

So sorry, honey. Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Words fail. This has been two weeks of death for people I love and now you. I am so sorry. He sounds amazing. I believe the spirit never dies, but I know you will miss him terribly. Cry all you want. Big, gentle hugs.

Cyn said...

He was so young. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you and I will. *squishy hugs*

Barb said...

I'm so sorry Julie.
(((big hugs)))

LizLSB said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Julie. Take extra good care of yourself right now while you grieve.

Kelly said...

I'm so very sorry Julie. I don't understand either.

Em said...

Oh my goodness... how awful. Such a young man... And as dagny said I am glad you have such good memories of him.

Michele said...

Oh no... this is such a tragedy! I am so sorry Julie. I can't imagine. My thoughts are with you, and my prayers for his journey and for his family.

Cyn said...

I am drinking a toast to Alan now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry sweetheart. I'm thinking of you.

Nicki BL said...

I'm sorry, too. I loved reading about your memories of him.